[b-hebrew] HITPAEL as mutual action

Richard Benton rcbenton at wisc.edu
Wed Apr 15 15:52:39 EDT 2009

Dear Michiel,

The Hitpael of HLK is very common.  It doesn't not seem to have any
reflexive force, but refers more to the action of "walking."  HLK in the
Qal generally refers to getting from here to there--and end point.  The
Hitpael does not have an endpoint as its focus, but focuses more on how
one walks.  More specifically, HLK in the Hitpael is metaphorical for
how morally one "walks."  In the case of Noah, he was morally upright
because he "walked" in God's ways.

Richard Benton