[b-hebrew] : )BYMLK vs. Abimelech vs. Abi-Molech

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 14 21:16:29 EDT 2009

  This form is a common example of the so-called Kinship Names, where 'father','uncle' or 'brother' refer to the deity as a family or clan member, though ususually in a lead position.

 As it happens, this exact name is attested in the EA tablets: No 152  where "Abi-Milku" appears in full, and also in restoration; and in No. 146 in restoration. The meaning here is 'my father , the God, is king'. This can be checked in the Moran translation.

  Sometimes two kinships appear in one name as in the famous, though perhaps not so fortunate, biblical Ahab.

   Cheers,

  Uri Hurwitz                                                             Great Neck, NY

      < snip>

 1.  ABYMLK could simply mean "My father is king". This is a perfectly acceptable name. I don't know why you've avoided it as a possibility.
 2.  Even if ABYMLK means "father of the king", it too would be a perfectly acceptable name. The father of such a person called ABYMLK would merely be implying by the name that he hopes for a dynasty to continue through his son and grandson.
    [George Athas]