[b-hebrew] Proverbs 11:25

fred putnam fred.putnam at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 11:48:59 EDT 2009

Dear Karl,

Perhaps:

The blessed soul is fattened
And whoever teaches even he is watered.

1. NP$ BRKH as adjectival [qualitative] construct phrase.
2. TD$N as pual, with MT/BHS.
3. MRWH as hifil participle of YRH, "teach".
YWRA as hofal, against MT/BHS, in which this form is pointed as either hifil
or--barely possibly--qal participle. The textual form cannot be hofal, which
would require a long /u/ prefix vowel (I-y root).
4. The first line is feminine, the second masculine; since WMRWH is pointed
as masculine, it does not refer to the NP$.

The saying would be general - specific: the good result of being either a
blessing (in general) or a teacher (specific type of blessing), suggesting
that good deeds are repaid in kind.

Regards,

Fred