[b-hebrew] pronunciation of waw-consecutive of hyh

Michiel Borkent michielborkent at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 06:18:52 EDT 2009

I wondered what the explanation for the pronunciation of waw-consecutive of
hyh, being wayehi (vocal swa) in for example Genesis 1:5 is.
The yod is not doubled here and the swa is vocal. Normally I would expect a
doubling of the yod and then the vocal swa would make sense to me, but now
it doesn't.

I tried to find it in my grammar book and it said that with waw-consecutive
with yod, tav and nunyou have 'secondary doubling' that possibly later is
cancelled. Is that the case here and how?