[b-hebrew] Eastern Galilee

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Tue Apr 7 21:42:08 EDT 2009

Jim,

This is hardly a short message, but this is not really the issue. What I am concerned about is that it represents the type of message from which I'm trying to dissuade you posting.

If you are honestly asking for feedback, and not just treating this forum as your personal publication outlet (which I suspect you are, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...again), then here's my feedback for you:

What you've proposed is, to be kind about it, ludicrous. You are trying to shape evidence, rather than understand it, and this constitutes a breach of basic scholarly method. The linguistics don't work, the geography cannot be reconciled, and you're bringing unwarranted assumptions to bear on the narrative. This (along with many of your other posts) is methodologically flawed - a classic house of cards. So, what you are engaging in is far from what could be conceived as a plausible argument. If I received this as a submission from a student, it would fail.

So, I suggest you stop trying to chisel the evidence into your desired form, or else stop these postings. They are simply not in the spirit of the B-Hebrew forum. I can see that you're not the aggressive type, and you're to be commended for that. However, you're just not hitting the mark in terms of basic methodology and argumentation, and you very rarely accept correction. B-Hebrew tries to foster collegiality, but your posts aren't really doing that.

Once again, I'll reiterate my advice: If you wish to propagate your methodologically questionable views, then please do so on a blog. Otherwise, please engage in a methodologically appropriate way.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Co-Moderator, B-Hebrew
(Sydney, Australia)