[b-hebrew] HITPAEL as middle voice

Richard Benton rcbenton at wisc.edu
Thu Apr 2 17:22:52 EDT 2009

This statement demonstrates how difficult it is to classify the
Hitpael.  If the Hitpael is a middle, and a middle is "a case where the
actor is not a "real" actor," then we would not expect the Hitpael to
have "real" actors.  However, you are claiming that in 2 Sam 13:6, Ammon
is unquestionably an actor.

On a related point, we only know that Ammon acted ill.  He may or may
not have actually become ill.  This is common for the Hitpael.  GDL in
the Hitpael can mean making oneself appear to be mighty (even if one
isn't) in Isa 10:15, or it can mean acting mighty when one really is
mighty in Ezek 38:23.  In both cases, though, the subject is acting
mighty.  We can say that the axe in Isa 10:15 is making himself great
(although he doesn't actually become great), but is God making himself
great in Ezek 38:23?  The impression I get is that in both cases the
subject is demonstrating that he/it is great.

We find this use of the middle in other languages.  (I don't have the
examples at hand, but they are in Kemmer's book that I mentioned
earlier.)  In these cases, therefore, I think the Hitpael is functioning
as a middle.

Richard Benton