[b-hebrew] HITPAEL as mutual action

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Apr 1 18:16:16 EDT 2009

What is possibly meant by "middle voice" is a case where the actor is
not a "real" actor, for instance, HA-BASAR HIT-BA$EL BA-SIR,
literally meaning 'the meat cooked itself in the pot'.
There is no question that WA-YIT-XAL of 2 Samuel 13:6, is 'and he
made himself ill'. If )AMNON entirely faked and pretended (HIT-
XAZAH), or if he aided the show with a draught of castor oil is not
revealed to us, and is beyond mere grammar.

Isaac Fried, Boston University