[b-hebrew] HITPAEL as mutual action

Richard Benton rcbenton at wisc.edu
Wed Apr 1 14:38:05 EDT 2009

Not all can be interpreted as reflexive.  One clear passive is Qoh 8:10
$kx.  A common use of the Hitpael is "act like" something, such as xlh
in 2 Sam 13:5-6.  I wouldn't say that this would be a reflexive, but
maybe more of a middle sense.

I believe Russian has some -sya verbs that could not be translated as
reflexive.

For a definition of "middle" I refer to Suzanne Kemmer's (1993), "The
middle voice."

Richard Benton