[b-hebrew] HITPAEL as mutual action

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Apr 1 09:49:32 EDT 2009

It is not fully clear to me what "reflexive" means, but in spoken
Hebrew HITPAEL is used even for an action performed via an agent, for
instance HISTAPER, 'he trimmed his hair', said even if done by a
barber. I think that the mutual sense of HITPAEL is due to the modern
view of the biblical HITXATEN, seen as a perfectly symmetric affair
between the bride and the bridegroom.
One of the reasons I am discouraged by Russian is the complexity of
it words such as pereglyaduvatsya..

Isaac Fried, Boston University