[b-hebrew] HITPAEL as mutual action

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Wed Apr 1 04:59:17 EDT 2009

I think we can improve the definition of HITPAEL slightly. To say that the stem is 'reflexive' is perhaps a little too narrow and won't always take in some translations and nuances.  It could be classified as 'middle', but 'middle' is quite a broad category and perhaps needs a little definition. I'd argue that the HITPAEL indicates the subject as the arena of the action. This, I think, captures reflexive and reciprocal senses.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au