[b-hebrew] New Inscription of Hebrew?

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 09:48:36 EDT 2008

Bryant:

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Bryant J. Williams III <
bjwvmw at com-pair.net> wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> The following URL http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,445132,00.htmlindicates
> that an inscription on a pottery shard is Hebrew. Whether or not it is the
> dating does place it about 1000-975 BC.
>
> Any ideas, thoughts, remarks?
>
> Rev. Bryant J. Williams III

I am somewhat bummed out about this report.

Over the years I have heard of a few findings of ostraca with writing on
them, but I have yet to see one where there is a good quality image of the
writing so I could read it for myself. (I saw a low quality photograph of
one, but the quality was so low that most of the letters could not be
recognized, let alone be read.)

Now here is another one which seems destined for the black hole where only
the privileged have access while we, the unwashed masses without privilege,
should be satisfied with the drops of wisdom from the lips of scholars.

Once again I am teased, but based on previous experience resigned to the
expectation that I will never get a chance to see a good quality image of
the writing for myself.

Karl W. Randolph.