[b-hebrew] Boaz and Rahab

Oun Kwon kwonbbl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 01:18:03 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Steve Miller <smille10 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
<clipped>

> [Steve Miller] Amminadab was not tribal leader, but his son Nahshon.

OJK: You are right. I've missed it.

<Clipped>

> [Steve Miller] I don't see the problem. Nahshon was a leader at the
> beginning of the Exodus. His son, Salmon, would have been of age to marry to
> marry Rahab at the end of the 40 years in the wilderness.

OJK: Exactly. I don't see the problem. The problem is when someone
writes and says the biblical statement is contradictory, I got
confused and I wanted to have it clarified once for all.

> Matthew 1 does not skip any generations between Abraham & David because v17
> says "_ALL_ the generations from Abraham to David are 14 generations." After
> David, Matthew skips generations. He does not use the word "ALL" to describe
> the generation counts after David.

OJK:  Moreover the phrase 'all the genertions [are]' is something I
like to take to govern all the subsequent clauses, as I put Mt 1:17
this way:

1:17	Thus, all the generations [are]:

		from Abraham to David
			— fourteen  generations;
		and from David until the Babylónian exile
			— fourteen generations;
		and from the Babylonian exile until the Messiah
			— fourteen generations.

Of course, whether skips or not, 'generation' here in this verse is
and cannot be "one king = one generation".

> -Steve Miller

Thank you all,

Oun Kwon.