[b-hebrew] Jeremiah 22:18

Yaakov Stein yaakov_s at rad.com
Tue Oct 28 13:44:27 EDT 2008

Karl

> by the time of Jeremiah (assuming that the Documentary Hypothesis is false),
> Hebrew writers consistently wrote the male, third person singular suffix with a waw, not a heh.

In Jeremiah there are a large number of variant spellings (which may be simple scribal errors).

I am at a conference without a tanach in hand and so can not give you the verse numbers,
but offhand I remember
V)YO instead of V)YH , &)Y which in some manuscripts is &)U
C(YRYHM spelled C(URYHM, TRMYT spelled TRMUT
HNYS instead of HNS, and dozens more.

> 2) the context seems to indicate that this is a person, not something like "his majesty"

That's why I mentioned the modern polite use of KBODO.
It refers to a person, although in third person.

Yaakov (J) Stein