[b-hebrew] Jeremiah 22:18

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 10:00:37 EDT 2008

Thanks all for answering.
This meaning, that it is a defective spelling for HWDW "his majesty", was my
first choice. The reason I asked was for the following reasons:

1) by the time of Jeremiah (assuming that the Documentary Hypothesis is
false), Hebrew writers consistently wrote the male, third person singular
suffix with a waw, not a heh. Heh in Hebrew is found only in early writings,
i.e. Genesis.

2) the context seems to indicate that this is a person, not something like
"his majesty"

3) the LXX does not translate it, which I would expect it to translate were
it understood to be as common a word as HWD, albeit defectively spelled.

Apparently there are no clues in either DSS or cognate languages.

Thanks again all for responding.

Karl W. Randolph.