[b-hebrew] Boaz and Rahab

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue Oct 28 03:06:52 EDT 2008

Hello Oun Kwon,

That's what you get for trusting web pages. In general, biblical genealogies
are a tricky buisiness, since they have a tendacy to "skip" or to
"telescope" generations. Also, a series of young marriages in one lineage
and a series of late marriages in another can mean that people of the same
"generation" are sometimes years apart. There are lots of, say, uncles and
nephews that are the same age. So there's really no problem with the line of
Judah having 6 geneartions to the Exodus and the line of Levi taking 4
generations to cover the same period. And since Nahshon was a young adult at
the time of the Exodus, his grandson (assuming that the list did not skip a
generation) Boaz could well have been a young adult 40 years later, at the
time of the conquest. And there is no indication as to Rahab's age at the
time. She could have been anything from 15 to 50 (although more likely
somewhere in the middle).

Num. 1:16 does not say anything about Ammuhud or Elishama. Elishama son of
Ammihud is listed as the "prince" of the tribe of Ephraim in verse 10, but
this does not mention how many generations he was removed from Ephraim son
of Joseph. The assumption there seems to be that Elishama was a contemporary
of Joshua, who of course was a younger contemporary of Moses. But there is
no way to know if Elishma was the same age as Joshua, or older, or younger.

The Ammihud - Elishama - Nun - Joshua sequence is from 1 Chr. 7:26-27, but
the connection between this line (which goes back 5 generations before
Ammihud) to Ephraim is "disturbed" by additional material. A lot has been
written about this, including by myself (in JBL 123, 2004). Read the
commentaries on 1 Chronicles by Sara Japhet or (more recently) by Gary
Knoppers (in the Anchor Bible series).

A question worth asking, of course, is whether Mat. 1, in including Rahab in
the lineage of Jesus, is meant to be a historical reference, or whether it
is more ideologically motivated. In any case, one may wonder where the
author of Matthew got the tradition from. Later Jewish rabbinic sources
claim that Rahab actually married Joshua. I'm not saying that one is more
"historical" than the other, just that we should be careful when trying to
"harmonize" traditions that appear in different sources that are hundreds of
years apart.

Yigal Levin