[b-hebrew] Boaz and Rahab

Oun Kwon kwonbbl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 23:42:18 EDT 2008

This is not about language but i hope it is something I can ask on this list.

Matthew 1:(KJV) "5 And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab"

The way I learned is the traditional understanding of this Rahab of
G-Mt as Radab of Canaan conquest.

Now I happen to read a web page where this is quoted

"The only Rachab mentioned in the Tanakh was the Rachab of the
Conquest who lived about two hundred years before Boaz."

I thought, wow. Was Boaz that late?

Here is my calculation tracing down family line:

Judah - Perez -Hezron - Ram - Amminadab - Nahshon - Salmon - Boaz (Mt and O.T.)
Levi - Kohath - Amram - Moses & Aaron (great-grandsons) (Exo 6:16 ff)
Ephraim - ? - Ammihud - Elishaman - Nun - Joshua (Num 1:16)

Here Amminadab and Elishaman were the tribal leaders in the first
census of Israel, 2nd year after Exodus.

Joshua, young general in charge for the new generation in Canaan
conquest is a grandson of these leaders. When compared these tribal
lines, Boaz is only one generation behind Joshua, which brings Boaz at
the time of Caanan conquest where we find the story of Rahab.

Jamieson Commentary says (for G-Mt): "a thing not beyond possibility
indeed, but extremely improbable, there being about four centuries
between them. There can hardly be a doubt that one or two intermediate
links are omitted"

I wonder there are other scholarly source with such conclusion. (Some
says 200 years gap from Boaz to Rahab). How did they come up with such
conclusions?

Another minor question: from the reading Num 1:16, it is not clear
whether there is additional generation. Was Ammihud a son or a
grandson of Ephraim?

Thanks for your help.

Oun Kwon.