[b-hebrew] Weak Verb Question

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Sat Oct 25 16:50:20 EDT 2008

Hi Daniel,

It's probably too late for this advice, but my advice is to do them
first, even before strong verbs.  Strong verbs are easy after you have
done the weak.  But weak are all the harder after you have strong verbs
in your head always fighting against learning the weak.  In addition,
the weak verbs are among the most frequently used verbs in the Hebrew
Bible, so there is a big return for the investment.

My book _Learning Biblical Hebrew: A New Approach Using Discourse
Analysis_ teaches weak verbs (in wayyiqtol!) first with great success.

The last thing I think one should do is learn the strong verbs all the
way through the forms (qatal, yiqtol, wayyiqtol, imperative, infinitive,
participle) before learning anything about weak verbs.

Shalom,
Bryan