[b-hebrew] authorities?

dwashbur at nyx.net dwashbur at nyx.net
Wed Oct 22 14:26:28 EDT 2008

On 22 Oct 2008 at 7:58, K Randolph wrote:

> So which is the priority, the text itself, or what others, e.g. translators,
> say about it?

As with so many things, I think balance is the key.  Using those dictionaries and grammars
and concordances etc. that you mentioned is quite similar to using a translation; in each
case we're asking what somebody else who went before came up with.  And even if one
ends up with a totally different idea, the way you have done with lexicology and I have done
with grammar, we're still standing on the shoulders of giants, whether lexicographers,
grammarians, commentators or translators.

That said, when I want to read English I use the NIV.  If I hit a passage with a word or two
that I can't remember and don't feel like looking it up, I go to that translation because it's the
most readable one I have.  I don't consult a whole slew of translations, even though I have a
bunch available.  Like you, I go to the Hebrew text first.  But I can see where translations
are useful for those with limited or no knowledge of Hebrew.

Dave Washburn
"I'll hold the nail.  And when I nod my head, you hit it with the hammer."