[b-hebrew] Use of cognate languages in the interpretation of Biblical Hebrew

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Wed Oct 22 02:56:48 EDT 2008

Dear Matthew,

While the reading list suggested by previous posters is a good one, the
rationale is actually very simple: like any other aspect of human culture
and society, no human language exists in a vacuum. Languages spoken by
neighboring peoples are inevitably interconnected by both etymology
(development from a common source) and by borrowing from each other. And
since the Bible only records about 30% of the spoken Hebrew language of the
"biblical period" (without getting into a debate about that term), and quite
a few of the words and phrases that the Bible does record are not really
well understood just by their context, it makes perfect sense to use cognate
languages as an aid. This was done by Medieval Jewish commentators with
Aramaic and Arabic, but with the rediscovery of the Semitic languages that
were actually spoken at the time in which the Bible, or rather its sources,
were written, with a more developed knowledge of the actual relationships
between the different languages, this has become a basic part of Hebrew and
Semitic linguistics. However, like in the case of Dahood, this is sometimes
over-used. We should always keep in mind, that the sources we have for these
"cognate" languages are not always well understood, that they are often
separated by hundreds of miles and hundreds of years from Biblical Hebrew
(which is hardly monolithic in itself), and that a word or phrase can have
different meanings in different dialects, times, and contexts.

Hope that helps.

Yigal Levin