[b-hebrew] Use of cognate languages in the interpretation of Biblical Hebrew

dwashbur at nyx.net dwashbur at nyx.net
Tue Oct 21 21:57:32 EDT 2008

Matthew,
Check out almost anything by Mitchell Dahood.  He was the champion of using cognates,
and especially Ugaritic.  He wrote an article on the question of whether we should be using
cognate languages or Qumran and the versions, but I can't remember the precise title of it.
He goes into the rationales for those two approaches in some detail in it, so if you can find it
you should be on your way to getting an answer to your question.

On 21 Oct 2008 at 19:56, Matthew Dent wrote:

> Does anybody know of a good starting point for understanding the reasoning and rationale behind the use of cognate languages in the interpretation of Biblical Hebrew?  It seems to be a generally agreed upon principle that there is value in it, but I'd like to know the origin of the practice and upon what assumptions it rests.  Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Matthew Dent

Dave Washburn
"I'll hold the nail.  And when I nod my head, you hit it with the hammer."