[b-hebrew] When Did Lot Get to Zoar?

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 12:15:00 EDT 2008

Jim:

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 6:49 AM, <JimStinehart at aol.com> wrote:

> Bill:
>
> 1.  The Hebrew verb at Genesis 19: 23 does not mean "to rise", but rather
> means "to go forth".  Thus even before we consider the matter of tense, the
> notion of the sun "going forth on the earth" means a time long after
> sunrise,
> when the earth has been filled with the sun's bright light.
>
> When the sun comes over the horizon, the earth is filled with the sun's
bright light, as anyone who lives in farm country knows. The Hebrew use of
"sun exiting" refers to the sun coming over the horizon, nowhere near even
mid-morning.

> 4.  No one has yet set forth a single line of text in the Patriarchal
> narratives that either (a) supports the age-old view that the Patriarchs'
> "Hebron"
> is the city of Hebron, or that (b) contradicts my assertion that the
> Patriarchs'
>  "Hebron" is the Aijalon Valley.
>
> You haven't been listening, have you?

> We all know that it frequently is the case that two or more different
> places
> in ancient Canaan have the same name.  For example, think how many places
> are
> called "Qadesh".  When you deny that Isaac was born in Galilee, you do not
> deny that there was a Qadesh (of Upper Galilee) in Galilee.  No, your
> argument
> is that Genesis 20: 1 is referring to a different place with the same name
> (Qadesh).  So then why can't the Patriarchs' "Hebron" likewise be referring
> to a
> different place than the city of Hebron, with only the names being the
> same?
>
> While that is true for some names, most names have remained constant until
today. In order to show that there was a different town with the same name,
you need to find indications either in the text of the narratives or in
archeology that such a second town existed. So far you have not showed one
word that legitimately backs up your claim.

You have admitted that the Oaks of Mamre was near Hebron, and from the
context the Oaks of Mamre overlooked the southern Jordan Valley, therefore
Hebron had to be in southern Judea, where in fact it is found today.

> 5.  Can you point to a single line of text in the Patriarchal narratives
> that
> fits the city of Hebron better than the Aijalon Valley as being the locale
> of
> the Patriarchs' "Hebron"?  We all know that the names of the city of
> Hebron,
> and of the Patriarchs' "Hebron", are the same (as George Athas has repeated
> many times over).  But the question is whether the places are the same.
>  Aren'
> t these two very different places, that share the same name?

See above.

> Jim Stinehart
> Evanston, Illinois

Karl W. Randolph.