[b-hebrew] Kiriath Arbe

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Thu Oct 16 13:10:41 EDT 2008

Ken:

Thanks for pointing that out.  However, my September 17, 2008 discussion of
Kiriath Arbe was primarily focused on a possible pun involved with the name “
Hebron”.  Given the great opposition to puns on the b-hebrew list, I am no
longer relying on any claimed puns at all.  Rather, I am taking a straightforward
look at “Kiriath Arbe” and the geographical location in secular history of a
Late Bronze Age city in secular history whose name is the linguistic equivalent
of “Kiriath Arbe”.

In fact, it was after September 17 that I stumbled upon Amarna Letter EA 281,
which, while not referencing “Hebron”, appears to have a clear reference to “
Arbe”.  (The controversy regarding that Amarna Letter has, unfortunately,
centered upon whether it references “Hebron”, with the key question of whether
it instead references “Arbe” having been largely, though not completely,
overlooked.)  I had also not previously realized that item #100 on the Thutmosis
III list is a clear reference to the city of Aijalon.  It’s a question of
identifying the ancient root of these ancient, pre-Hebrew town names and then
understanding in what format these ancient town names would be expected to show up
on the Thutmosis III list, in the Amarna Letters, and in the Biblical Hebrew of
the Patriarchal narratives.  As I continue to research this area, and
jettison my earlier over-reliance on alleged Patriarchal puns, more and more
linguistic connections keep appearing.

Every week I keep on finding something in secular history or the text that
further confirms what I view as being the incredible historical accuracy of the
Patriarchal narratives.  In terms of geography, I have found that the
Thutmosis III list, the Amarna Letters, and the Patriarchal narratives fit together
seamlessly.  The geography of Canaan in general, and the Bronze Age names of
cities and regions where the Patriarchs are portrayed as sojourning, all have
pinpoint historical accuracy, as far as I have been able to determine.  Instead
of being fearful about examining the geography of the Patriarchal narratives
too closely, I have found that the deeper one digs into it, the greater the
accuracy of the text regarding historical geography I have found.

My next post will be my last post on this general subject (unless people
raise specific problems or questions regarding my analysis).

The question I have been addressing is this.  If there are no puns at all,
but rather we are simply matching Biblical Hebrew names with names from the
secular history of Late Bronze Age Canaan, do the text of the Patriarchal
narratives, the geography of Canaan, and the secular history of the Late Bronze Age
give us a clear answer to the question of where the Patriarchs and Matriarchs
are portrayed in Genesis as being buried?  Of critical importance in that regard
is focusing on the name “Kiriath Arbe” in secular history, with no reliance
on any alleged puns.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois