[b-hebrew] shacham

dwashbur at nyx.net dwashbur at nyx.net
Wed Oct 15 13:08:53 EDT 2008

While it's good to look for cognates and try to find connections between words with
apparently-similar roots and such, it doesn't always work.  An example I like to use is "nice,"
which comes from a Latin root meaning "ignorant."  The word "strike" can mean "to hit" in
bowling but "to miss" in baseball.  And so it goes.  Words mean what they mean because a
society chooses to use them that way.  There may or may not be any connection to a root.  I
say this, not to squelch the question of connection between these two versions of $KM, but
to illustrate that there may come a point where we simply have to throw up our hands and
say "there isn't any."