[b-hebrew] shacham

Stephen and Rebecca Shead srshead at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 13:55:54 EDT 2008

Gabe,

HALOT (following others) suggests that it may be the other way around: the
noun "shoulder" gave rise to a verb "to do something early" (e.g. get up
early, set out early), as a development from "to load up the animals in the
morning" (i.e. put things on their shoulders before setting out). They list
a couple of cognate verbs (Ugaritic *tkm* and Ethiopian *sakama*) which mean
"to place on the shoulders".

Also, a word for getting up early isn't necessarily so "special" or strange.
Spanish has one: *madrugar* (presumably from *madrugada*, "early morning").

Stephen Shead
Centro de Estudios Pastorales
Santiago, Chile