[b-hebrew] names and puns

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 01:41:24 EDT 2008

Dave:

We read in the text that Laban lived in Padan Aram, and he was called an
Aramean (e.g. Genesis 31:20) while the town of Shechem was a Hivite town,
further Jacob did not remain in Shechem after his sons (not he) took the
town. Rather Jacob remained a tent dweller, moving from place to place until
he went to Egypt.

Therefore I understand Genesis 48:22 in the context of the statements as
referring to his livestock which he took from an Aramean (Laban) rather than
a set piece of land in the territory of Canaan.

Karl W. Randolph.