[b-hebrew] birth rate in Captivity

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Oct 11 17:52:22 EDT 2008

Dear Doug,

I don't think that there is any rational explanation, nor do I think that
one is needed. Jewish Midrash, working with the same data, calculated that
the Israelites were actually in Egypt for 210 years, and that the 430 years
began with Abraham. As an explanation for the Israelites' supernatural
breeding, the rabbis explaned that that was what it was: supernatural - 6
children at each birth.

In general, my personal attitude is that you either accept the text at face
value or you don't. If you do, then obviously God was somehow involved in
causing the Israelites the multiply so fast. This is certainly what the
author intends. If you don't accept the text at face value, then why accept
that they really went from 70 to 600000? Why accept the time-frame? Why
assume that they ever "really" went to Egypt? These are all legitimate
questions for a historian, and not for an exegete.

Yigal Levin