[b-hebrew] Hosea 1:8-11

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Fri Oct 10 05:35:28 EDT 2008

Hi again,

I think you're being too literal, in expecting every "child" here to
represent a different part of the nation. The first son, Jeezrel, is so
named to get across the message of God's impending destruction of the
reining hous of Jehu, who had usurped the monarchy by a massacre at Jeezrel
(although in 2 Kings 9 this is presented favorabley). The other children
also symbolize Israel, each in his or her own way.

And yes, the image of Israel as God's "wife" is fairly common in the
prophets. Intersting, as the word for "husband" (God) is "baal" as in the
name of the Canaanite deity worshipped by some in Israel. This theme is
developed in Hosea 3.

Yigal Levin