[b-hebrew] d of z

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Fri Oct 10 04:18:59 EDT 2008

Hello again Doug,

I think that the conventional reading of "daughter of Zion" is that it
always refers to either the city of Jerusalem, or to the land/people/kingdom
of Judah as a whole. "Zion", as I'm sure you know, is a name for the hill on
which Jerusalem was built, the hill that we also call "Moriah" or "The
Temple Mount" (the use of "Zion" specifically for the western hill of the
Old City that is common now is a Second Temple Period misidentification).
I can't think off-hand of any case in which "daughter of Zion" refers to
"Israel" as a whole.

Yigal Levin