[b-hebrew] Hosea 1:8-11

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Fri Oct 10 04:09:32 EDT 2008

Dear Doug,

Let's please keep what Yohanan wrote in mind: this list is meant for the
study of the text of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament, in a non-sectarian
atmosphere. Our membership includes Christians of various denomonations,
Jews of different views, and some people who prefer not to define themselves
by religion at all. We can all get along and learn from each other, only if
no-one feels that anyone else is trying to "sell" a partciular religious
agenda.

I actually did not see such an attempt in your post, but since Yohanan
obviously did, it's worth restating the list position.

With all this in mind:

a. What you call Hosea 1:8-11 is actually 1:8-2:2 in the Hebrew text. There
may well be a theological reason behind the different traditions of
numbering the chapters and verses. This is certainly worth further
investigation.

b. In this parable, it is Hosea who acts the part of God, while Gomer
represents Israel and her children, Judah and (northern) Israel. "Lo-ammi"
("You are not my people") is northern Israel, about to be scattered through
the nations, but eventually to be recognized as "Sons of the living God" and
returned. The passage does not mention gentiles at all.

c. Paul, in typical midrashic fashion, misconstrues the original context by
making "not my people" refer to the gentiles. This is called "eisegesis" -
reading "into" the text what one thinks it should mean, and is a common
practice among Jewish and Christian interpreters of the Bible (and I suppose
that one could say that Paul was right in between the two traditions).
Whether he was theologically "correct" in his interpretation is way beyond
the purview of this list.

Yigal Levin