[b-hebrew] sheeth in Ps 73:6

pporta at oham.net pporta at oham.net
Thu Oct 9 14:12:45 EDT 2008

Ps 73:6 is translated "Therefore pride encircles them. A garment of violence
covers them." I question translating the Hebrew word "sheeth" as "garment"
because it is only translated so here and in Prov 7:10. The consonants  Shin
Yod Tav are commonly translated "thorns" (i.e. Isa 5:6; 7:23-25, etc.), but
when translated as "thorns", the word is voweled differently, with a patah
under the shin, rather then a hireq.

_________

PP

"Sheeth" is "garment" and "Shaeeth" is "thorn": they are quite different
nouns, nothing to do with each other even if the consonants are the same!
The same thing happens in many languages: English "son" and "sun"; French
"poison" and "poisson"; Spanish "ajo" and "ojo"; Latin "patet" and "latet"
and so on...

Let us suppose we find within a poem this sentence:
'The sun is sleeping'  -- (By night) being understood.
A foreigner who studies English thinks/wants it would better say:
'The son is sleeping' because it is usual that a child, a boy sleeps...
while the sun does not sleep!
Would you find this foreigner's behaviour fine and right?

Any comments?

Another question: In Ps 73:6 there is a dash between the word "covers" and
"sheeth". Does the dash mean anything?

___

Dear Steve,

In "I like olive-trees" ....... does the dash mean anything? Would not "I
like olive trees" be the same?
The dash strengthens the union between the two words it links...

Best regards!

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Catalonia, Spain)

Sincerely,