[b-hebrew] Hebron, mountains, and flocks

Oun Kwon kwonbbl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 19:27:30 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 4:11 PM, K Randolph <kwrandolph at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know about Jim Stinehart, who is from flatland Illinois, I have
> sojourned in rugged mountain areas, both in the European Alps and in the
> U.S. wild West, and can attest that as long as there is sufficient grazing,
> not only goats, but also sheep and cattle have no problem feeding on steep
> and rugged mountain pastures. Therefore this prattle that the area around
> Hebron is too mountainous for flocks is patently false.
> Karl W. Randolph.

Hi Karl,

There is no problem, sure. Even in the desert plain there are Bedouins
with goats. (I lived in Saudi Arabia over 3 years.)

How big is the size of a flock you are imagining?  I heard some
incredulous story that during Exodus up to 2 million Israelites were
living for several decades in the so-called Mount Sinai in the Sinai
Peninsula in Egypt (where monastery was built).  It might support a
few hundreds at most, my guess. (But better look for the real Sinai in
the N-W corner of Saudi Arabia).

Anyway, yes, people could have some goats there. But the issue is: how
many could the mountainous terrain support.

Oun.