[b-hebrew] Hebron, mountains, and flocks

Gary Hedrick GaryH at cjfm.org
Wed Oct 8 18:01:13 EDT 2008

	Maybe we should be a bit more reserved in our extrapolations about the flora and fauna in and around Hebron based on what we observe there today. We know that there have been rather significant changes in the local ecosystem over the past couple of millennia. Contributing factors include deforestation, the ravages of military invasions in antiquity, human migration, natural erosion, and general neglect of the land for extended periods (we're talking many centuries here). If memory serves, Josephus even talks about a "scorched earth" campaign by the Romans (or someone) in that area. I haven't actually been in Hebron in a long time due to the political situation there. From what I remember, though, it is pretty desolate, like much of that area of Judea. But in the time of Joshua, the area evidently was quite different. It had abundant "common lands" (migrashah) for the grazing of livestock (cp. Joshua 21). It was one of the areas given to the Levites, in fact. I seriously doubt they would have gotten away with rewarding the Levites with a desolate wasteland.

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, TX