[b-hebrew] Dawidh / Bath-sheva / Uriyah

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Tue Oct 7 06:45:46 EDT 2008

1 Kings 15.5 states that David was upright, except in the matter of Uriah the Hittite. This would suggest that the centre of gravity for the affair was the murder of Uriah. However, the murder was occasioned by the adultery. Nathan's parable (2 Sam 12) seems to put the adultery (taking the ewe) and murder (butchering the ewe) into one. So I'm not sure that we can really untangle the two heinous acts from each other. They are both two sides of the one coin.

Also, the reason David is not put to death himself is that the son born of the affair dies in his stead. Also, Yahweh has made an unconditional commitment to David and his heirs in 2 Sam 7, and that commitment holds despite sinfulness.

Regards,
GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College (Sydney)
Ph: 9577 9774. Mob: 0449 758 100