[b-hebrew] Deut. 32:6

pporta at oham.net pporta at oham.net
Sun Oct 5 14:24:57 EDT 2008

> According to context, the word "Qanekha" obviously means "your creator" or
> "your owner", and that is how it is understood by most commentators and
> translators. However the Masoretic vocalization actually means "your reed"
> (see Rashi for an even more imaginative "your nest"). "Your creator"/"your
> owner" should be "Qonekha". Does anyone have an explanation for the
> Masoretic vocalization? And, as long as we're on the subject, why there is
> a dagesh in the Qoph?

_____

1. I think "asher" must be understood between "avikha'" and "qanekha":
"Maybe he is not your father (who) got you?"
Pay attention: "qanekha" means "your reed", yes. But it means also "he got
you (male)". These are polysemic words having more than one meaning. In
Spanish, where I'm from, "traje" means:
-a male suit
but it means
-I brought here
as well. The real meaning of the word depends on the context.

But in my search on Hebrew patterns I did not find another word like
"qanekha" namely a merging of Qal Perfect, third person singular masculine,
of verbs lamed"yod (= lamed"heh) + second person singular masculine suffix
(you, male).

2. And why is there a dagesh (perhaps only in some Codexes) within the shin
in "sham" (Ex 17:6) and within the lamed in "lo" (Gen 38:9) and within the
resh in "rakh" (Pr 15:1)... and in... and in... and in...?  Yigal, maybe
oddities of the Masoretics (to my mind, of course)!

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Catalonia, Spain)