[b-hebrew] biblical history and chronology

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Oct 4 17:28:13 EDT 2008

YHWH (often translated "LORD") is the name of the God of Israel. Jer 23:6
refers to a future king of Israel and Judah, descended from David (what was
later called "Messiah"), who will be called "YHWH-our-righteousness". This
is a compound name of a type very common in Hebrew and in other Semitic
languages, in which the name of the deity is added to a verb or adjective.
It is unusual only in that in most such "Yahwistic" names, the Tetragramaton
is usually abbreviated to Yah, Yo, Yeho and the like. In this case, I think
that Jeremiah intended it as a jibe at the reigning king, whose name was
Zedekiah ("Righteous-Yah") and who was anything but.

Yigal Levin