[b-hebrew] M$QH at Genesis 13: 10: Where Did Lot Go?

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Wed Oct 1 16:34:34 EDT 2008

Jim, Lot was not looking for "city life", he was looking for good grazing.
The Jezreel Valley is NOT used primarily for grazing, since the fields are
sown and planted with grain. Most grazing by semi-pastoralists such as the
Patriarchs was done on the desert fringe, including the Judean Desert. The
whole point of the story is to contrast Abraham's righteousness with Lot's
wrong choices - Abraham remains in the "clean" hill-country, while Lot goes
to live among the Sodomites.
AND - the area of the Kikar, along the southern edge of the Dead Sea, is
even today a lush area, watered by several large springs. Most tourists
don't get to see this part of the Dead Sea shore because it's so close to
the Jordanian border, but I've done some military service there, and the
soldiers call it "Vietnam", because it reminds them of movie scenes of
patrolling through the jungles of southeast Asia.

Yigal Levin