[b-hebrew] What Does "Sodom" Mean?

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 22:30:53 EST 2008

Jim:
You're losing it. All the records that I can find indicate that the #1
desired material was gold. Lapis Lazuli is well down the list.

RK$, alternately spelled RKW$, refers to movable possessions, often
specifically livestock, as contrasted to immobile possessions such as houses
or land.

As for Beth Shean during the Egyptian occupation:
http://www.rehov.org/project/tel_beth_shean.htm indicates that it was merely
a garrison town, not a rich city. While it was burned down at least three
times during that period, that was attributed to local rebellion, not
foreign invasion. It would not have been a welcome place for a rich
foreigner looking for luxury. Nor was it a place to loot for treasures.

Conclusion: either the patriarchal narratives are myth with a possible
kernel of history passed down through the centuries, or it is an accurate
history of early bronze age Canaan, a narrative supported by archeology.
Your theory has too many holes, linguistic, historical, etc., to hold water.

Karl W. Randolph.