[b-hebrew] olam in Ps 136.3

Daniel Rodriguez dlr09 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 26 13:53:54 EST 2008

I'm curious to know what the B-Hebrew listers may have to say about a particular spelling in the BHS.

The refrain of Ps 136 is ki le-olam chasdo. In v1-2, and v4-forward olam is spelled with the so-called full spelling with the presence of holem vav. However, v3 of the BHS text has the so-called defective spelling of olam. Why is this? Is this representation of the Lenningrad codex (all the online versions I find are broken)? If so, why is it like that. Aleppo and DSS both have the full spelling uniformly through the psalm. Any ideas?

thanks,
daniel