[b-hebrew] HXL - begin NOT profane

Yaakov Stein yaakov_s at rad.com
Sun Nov 23 06:39:39 EST 2008

> I looked again and realized the word I am asking about chalal can mean began, profane,  or make common,

Not likely.

The word is a very very common one meaning "to start"
(which in modern Hebrew gains a tav to become HTXL).

For example :

Genesis 6:1     - CY HXL H)DM = when man started, not when man profaned
Genesis 10:8   - HU) HXL = he started to become a hero, not he profaned to become a hero
Genesis 24:12 - BGDL HXL = he started with the greater, not he profaned with the greater
Numbers 17:11 - HXL HNGP = the plague has started, not the plague has profaned
Deut 2:24         - HXL R$ = start inheriting, not profane inheriting
Judges 10:18    - )$R YXL LHLXM = who will start fighting, not who will profane fighting
Judges 16:22    - WYXL &(R R)$O = his hear began to grow, not profaned to grow
Jonah 3:4          - WYXL YONH = Jonah started, not Jonah profaned
Chronicles 2 3:1 - WYXL $LMH = Solomon started, not Solomon profaned

and I could bring dozens more.

Yaakov (J) Stein