Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu Nov 20 23:02:47 EST 2008

Dear Eva,

I'm not sure what translation you're reading, but in the Hebrew the word
"men" is not there. What it says is "To Seth, to him also a son was born;
and he called his name Enosh. Then it was begun to call upon the name of the
LORD." In Enflish, the phraze "Then it was begun" is a little stiff, so the
translator added the word "men" - "then men began...". Since "Enosh" means
"man", this might have been understood as an explaination of the name.

The Hebrew word used for "Began" is "huxal". This is similar to the word
"xalal" which means "profane", but it's not the same word. The form used
here actually comes from "haxel" which means "to begin". No "profane" it the
verse at all.

Yigal Levin