[b-hebrew] Why from right to left?

Sesamo m. sesamox at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 20 03:31:26 EST 2008

I'm not sure if this question fits in this list, but I think so.
I've been reading about the origin of writing and I wonder why ancient languages such as Hebrew were written from right to left.
The first supports for writing were clay tablets, and if they wrote from right to left they could ruin with the hand what they had just written, if you know what I mean. Actually, the same problem could happen with ink.
I've read the theory that those eastern peoples originally wrote with their left hand, but I find that theory illogical. Do any of you know of a possible reason?

Thanks in advance.

Sergio Saavedra
Madrid