[b-hebrew] another language

Doug Belot dbelot at bigpond.net.au
Fri Nov 7 16:59:52 EST 2008

Hi to you all , please may I inquire of a Hebrew Scripture question , it concerns the practice of using expressions like "daughter of Zion" , daughter of Babylon , daughter of Edom , Philistines etc , there seems to  be a language in code almost , let me put some pasages up and see what you think,

Ps 45:12  And the daughter of Tyre will be there with a gift.
Ps 137:8 O daughter of Babylon who are to be destroyed
Is 47:1     Come sit down in the dust O virgin daughter of Babylon
               Sit on the ground without a throne O daugter of the Chaldees
Jer 51:33  For this says the Lord of Hosts , the God of Israel
               The daughter of Zion is like a threshing floor

Lam 4:21  Rejoice and be glad O daughter of Edom

Ezek 16:456 Your elder sister is Samaria ....your younger sister is Sodom

Zec 2:7  Up,  Zion !  Escape you who dwell with the daughter of Babylon .

All these passages seem to nominate a generation to follwo as the "daughter of" , similar as is the "daughter of Zion/Jerusalem" and many passages  2nd Kgs 19:21 and is 37:22

Is 37:22  The virgin daughter of Zion has despised you laughed you to scorn the daughter of Jerusalem has shaken her head behind your back.

Zec 9:9  Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem:behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation;lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.

There are as you know many many more , then we have passages like Is 54:1

Is 54:1   Sing, O barren, thou that didst not bear; break forth into singing, and cry aloud, thou that didst not travail with child: for more are the children of the desolate than the children of the married wife, saith the LORD.

Is 50:1   Where is the certificate of your mothers divorce , Whom I have put away ?Or which of My creditors is it to whom I have sold you.

Is 66:7    Before she travailed she gave birth , before her pain came she delivered a male child. Who has heard of such a thing , who has seen such things ?   Shall the earth be made to give birth in one day. Or shall a nation be born at once? For as soon as Zion travailed, she gave birth to her children .

There seems to be role play language mixed in with direct evidence type of historical account, and it smostly found in the prophecies , with your understanding of Hebrew have you ever considered how much this "coded wording" appears so often , and do you have a name for it , or indeed a translation for all its terms.

I ask this with respect in an attempt to learn ,what can Is 54:1 mean , I think it means former Israel and future Israel , but I am only guessing, does anyone study this type of langauge.    doug belot