[b-hebrew] Los Lunas and the ninth commandment

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 16:57:38 EDT 2008

Dear Ted:

The prefixed B- has a very broad meaning. As I posted elsewhere,

"B- (prefix) in, but in a very broad usage, broader than English to include
location (where in English we sometimes use "near", "on" and "upon"), as an
indicator of instrumentality "by means of" or "by use of" or "(by) cost of",
an indicator of possession, used by many verbs to indicate the object of the
verb including R)H and its synonyms"

In this case, the neighbor is the one being talked about, the indirect
object of the verb. The direct object is indicated by the L- prefix, i.e.
the one to whom the answer is being made.

Karl W. Randolph.