[b-hebrew] translation of Los Lunas ten commandments?

Ted Walther ted at reactor-core.org
Thu Mar 27 03:29:51 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 07:36:08AM +0200, Jason Hare wrote:
>You will notice, as the page states, that T, Q, Z, and D are replaced
>in the inscription with the Greek letters ??, ??, ??, and ??. This
>means that it would be hard to put it DIRECTLY into Hebrew characters,
>unless you don't mind having a few Greek characters scattered
>throughout. This can be demonstrated with the first word in the
>inscription, which is (in Hebrew) ????????. Notice that instead of ??,
>the author wrote K, backwards.  There are other peculiarities of this
>inscription. I would like to look at it later when I get back from
>work. I am heading to work in a couple of minutes and will be gone all
>day (working from 9:00 to 9:00).  Hopefully this will still be
>entertaining people this evening so that I won't forget to look more
>plainly into this inscription, which seems really strange.

Good points.  I have seen several charts that show how Phoenician,
Greek, and Latin alphabets are all derived from the Hebrew alphabet.
For the purpose of transliteration, I would assume that if you see a
Greek letter, but it is obvious that a Hebrew letter is intended, then
put in the intended Hebrew letter, not the Greek letter.

I'd love to see a transliteration still, if anyone is up to it.  Karl,
thank you for your translation.

My interest is this.  A friend is in the home building and renovation
business.  He wants to start installing 12 inch wide doorposts in
peoples homes, and inscribe the ten commandments directly on these
doorposts with a wood burner or soldering iron.

Since we are in North America, we thought it would be neat to base our
doorposts on the Los Lunas inscription, the North American version of
the ten commandments.  Based on Karl's translation, I have a few more
questions before deciding that it is suitable for this style of mezuzah.
I'll post them later.

In the meantime, if a transliteration were available, with the spelling
corrections noted by Karl Randolph, we could use the text for our
project, but still have the freedom to experiment with different fonts.

That "up arrow" symbol in the inscription is interesting.  I wonder what
it was put in for.

Ted