[b-hebrew] BWR

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu Mar 27 01:11:31 EDT 2008

Dear Pere,

BWR does indeed mean "pit", but mostly with the specific meaning of
"water-hole" or "cistern". The fact that Gen. 37:24 takes the trouble of
informing us that the BWR into which Joseph was tossed was dry means that we
would otherwise assume that he would be in danger of drowning. However, I
don't think that biblical Hebrew is all that rigid in its definitions. B)R
(be'er - bet aleph resh) means "well". But if you look at 2 Sam. 23:15,
there we have a B)R which is vocalized as "bor", as indeed it is spelled in
the parallel 1 Chr. 11:17. So was the water of Bethlehem drawn from a "well"
or from a "cistern"?

Yigal Levin