[b-hebrew] translation of Los Lunas ten commandments?

Ted Walther ted at reactor-core.org
Wed Mar 26 15:37:41 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 07:01:34AM +0000, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:11 AM, Ted Walther wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 07:26:11PM -0700, dwashbur at nyx.net wrote:
>>  >I found this line curious:
>>  >
>>  >"...is convinced that the inscription is ancient and thus
>>  >authentic."
>>  >
>>  >What precisely does "authentic" mean in such a context?
>>
>>  Alas, the author of those words died in 2002.  I guess he meant
>>  "authentic" as in, the words were inscribed by a real Hebrew, not by
>>  a prankster along the lines of Joseph Smith and his golden tablets.
>
>The author of those words was not a Semitist or Hebrew Paleographer,
>and he is accused of having fabricated some of the data for research in
>other instances: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Lunas_Decalogue_Stone
>
>It is unlikely to be authentic, even apparently vocalization marks with
>"Paleo-Hebrew" script.

The professor wasn't claiming it was paleo-Hebrew.  Nor was he claiming
anything older than 1500 years for the inscription.  Vocalization marks
were around 1500 years ago weren't they?

Barry Fell said the vocalization marks present on the Los Lunas stone
are consistent with paleo-Hebrew.

I'd love to hear Karl Randolph weigh in on this one.

I don't care about authenticity so much; I just want to know how far the
text on the stone differs from the text we have in our modern Bibles.

Ted

--
	   There's a party in your skull.  And you're invited!

Name:    Ted Walther
Phone:   604-435-5787
Email:   ted at enumera.com
Skype:   tederific
Address: 3422 Euclid Ave basement, Vancouver, BC V5R4G4 (Canada)