[b-hebrew] translation of Los Lunas ten commandments?

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 03:01:34 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:11 AM, Ted Walther wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 07:26:11PM -0700, dwashbur at nyx.net wrote:
>  >I found this line curious:
>  >
>  >"...is convinced that the inscription is ancient and thus authentic."
>  >
>  >What precisely does "authentic" mean in such a context?
>
>  Alas, the author of those words died in 2002.  I guess he meant
>  "authentic" as in, the words were inscribed by a real Hebrew, not by a
>  prankster along the lines of Joseph Smith and his golden tablets.

The author of those words was not a Semitist or Hebrew Paleographer,
and he is accused of having fabricated some of the data for research
in other instances:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Lunas_Decalogue_Stone

It is unlikely to be authentic, even apparently vocalization marks with
"Paleo-Hebrew" script.

Yitzhak Sapir