[b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Nimrod?

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Mar 25 11:07:48 EDT 2008

Rolf,

1. Hebrew etymology is a crystal clear business. See my website
www.hebrewetymology.com [it may, of course, depend on what one
considers as 'etymology'].
2. I agree with you, though, that the etymology of personal names is
indeed a very very risky and uncertain business.  It could be a grave
mistake, methinks, to see a name as being a grammatically structured
word, for instance considering the name NIMROD as being from the root
MRD, 'vigorous, fierce, alert, unruly, rebellious', and with the
prefixed personal pronoun NI- and the infixed personal pronoun -O- in
their exact rolls acquired in the process of grammaticalization. Is
it not also possible that NIMROD = NIM-ROD, the land, or valley, of NIM?
The fact of the matter is that even secular Hebrews nowadays rarely
give their children the beautiful name NIMROD as it is being frowned
upon for its homiletically conceived negative connotation.
3. All others are possibly names of adopted ancient deities. Who
borrowed from whom and who exported to whom is not clear, but deity
names and their worship have the tendency to travel far and wide. How
the Akkadians rendered a borrowed name and how the Sumerians minced
an imported name is also uncertain.
4. It is indeed possible that the name Marduk is the the compound
MARD-UK from the root MRD and the personal pronoun UK, as in ANOKYI
and -AKEM, or it may be the compound MAR-DUK, with MAR being, what it
in now, 'sir'.
5. Yet, I can not help myself but see in BL)ADAN of Isaiah 39:1 the
Hebrew compound BA(AL-ADAON, which in Greece would have been Apollo-
Athen.

Isaac Fried, Boston University