[b-hebrew] Nimrod?

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Mar 24 23:43:58 EDT 2008

Dear Eva,

There is nothing in the short segment that we have on Nimrod in Gen. 10 that
indicates that he was in any way rebelious against God. He was "a mighty
hunter before YHWH", and the first great king to rule after the flood. In an
article that I published some years ago ("Nimrod the Mighty, King of Kish,
King of Sumer and Akkad", Vetus Testementum 52 (2002), 350-366), I suggested
that the Nimrod of Genesis was a compound literary recollection of the deeds
of the great Sargon of Akkad and of his grandson Naram-Sin, with the name
"Nimrod" being a shortened form of the latter. It was later post-tradition
that understood it to mean "Let us rebel" and turned him into an evil king.

Yigal Levin