[b-hebrew] "Sary" vs. "sary"

pporta at oham.net pporta at oham.net
Thu Mar 20 13:46:23 EDT 2008

Are you sure, Jim, of what you're telling?
The "sary" of Pharaoh are not "sary" but "sarEy". Why do you take no account
of the vowels?
You are speaking of two plural forms of the noun "sar". And you don't write
even a word about the "construct"...   "sary" (as you spell it) is a plural
construct... "sary" is not essentially different from "sarim".
Now, the name of Abraham's wife is "Saray" or "Sarai" and not Sary.
You say (if I understand you rightly) that the vowels of Saray are something
odd.

Something odd? Look at Isa 10:8 (fourth word)  where we find "saray", my
chiefs, my rulers, my princes.
So, from a strict litteral viewpoint "Saray" o "Sarai" means "my princes"
(and not "my princess") -- a single letter s versus a double ss. It is just
the fourth word in Is 10:8.

Sincerely, I think you are not on the good path at making this kind of
wordplays...
And I'm not writing these words as offensive to you, please! Maybe in a
given case  --or even in more than one--  this kind of wordplay would make
sense. Maybe.
But not in your actual mail. This is my humble opinion and I wish to share
it with you and other listers.

Heartly,

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Spain)